Are you getting ready to rent your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been many years since you rented one, and now you’re starting the process again. Here are some recommendations on how to rent an apartment in Westfield, from figuring out how much you can spend to picking the best apartment and submitting the application.
What Is Your Budget?
What you need to do first is figure out what you can afford. You don’t want to become enamored with a floor plan only to realize it’s not feasible from a budgetary standpoint. Think about your income prior to checking out that fantastic two-bedroom unit with a view of the lake. Here’s some advice to help you.
- Look at your net income - the amount you have after taxes - and subtract your existing charges (credit cards, car payments, etc.).
- Plan for unexpected costs like auto repairs and emergency medical care. In general, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Estimate costs at your new place, such as utilities and groceries. If you’re not sure how to begin, assign $250 per month for both.
- How frequently do you dine out? Approximate your dining and entertainment expenses per month.
- What is remaining? This total is what you may apply toward rent. This is the right time to decide if you’ll need a roommate.
Finding The Right Apartment In Westfield
Investigating different properties and floor plans is exciting but also demanding of your time. Make certain you provide yourself adequate time to search around - at least a couple months. Your first step is to decide on your preferred location. How close do you want to be to work or school? Are you searching in the city center or in suburban areas? Is there shopping and nightlife close by? Choosing a specific location will greatly benefit you.
You in all likelihood already know how many bedrooms you’ll want, so you can focus on picking your preferred floor plan. Then, you should consider what amenities you want. Is a fitness center or swimming pool essential? Do you have to have a community that allows animals? Answering these sorts of questions will narrow down the possibilities.
What To Expect In The Application Process
Once you’ve picked out an apartment, you need to conclude the application process. You’ll want to come prepared with a photo ID, proof of income, and a list of references. You’ll typically have to pay an application fee to offset the cost of background and credit checks. If you need a co-signer, ask about them at the beginning, as they might not be allowed.
The application process will usually consist of the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Fill out an application form
- Prepare for credit and background checks
- Sign the agreement
When filling out the application, you can anticipate showing this information:
- Name, phone number, email, and current address
- Employment and salary
- Prior address(es)
- Dogs or other pets (if applicable)
- Contacts in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked to provide past landlords or professional and personal references
Find The Right Apartment At Union Street Flats
Finding an apartment in Westfield is simple at Union Street Flats. We offer a wide range of amenities and floor plans to fit your lifestyle. Request a tour to explore our community or dial 317-942-3629 to chat with one of our helpful leasing agents about how to rent one of our apartments in Westfield.