Safety is a top consideration for everybody from first-time occupants to multi-year Residents. Your apartment is your refuge, a spot where you can feel safe and comfortable. Maintaining that feeling is crucial to the health and happiness of your loved ones and even your pets. Learning appropriate safety practices and making some changes to your unit may keep you out of harm’s way. Simply use these easy recommendations for securing your apartment in Westfield.
Always Go With “Safety First”
Your community already has a range of security features in place to help keep tenants away from harm, but you have to use them correctly! Be certain to close all entryways behind you, particularly if it requires a passcode or key from a occupant, like an exercise room or pool. If your complex uses door buzzers or keypad codes at entrances, only utilize them for your own guests. Letting strangers in could lead to a hazardous situation for everyone at the property!
In respect to your fellow occupants, they are important in securing your apartment in Westfield. Take time to meet your neighbors and learn who lives in which unit. That familiarity helps you detect if any shady outsiders are hanging around. Your fellow Residents might also be looking out for your best interests should an unwanted event occur. After all, safety is a team effort!
Implements to Secure Your Apartment in Westfield
Security tools are key to securing your apartment. Learn about some well-known and practical instruments and how to integrate them:
- Locks and bolts: Your doors and windows come with locks - utilize them! Invaders try to find the quickest and simplest means of entry. Securing your windows and doors after dark and prior to leaving is many times enough to deter the opportunistic burglar.
- Slide bar: A sliding back door can be a big target. Installing a slide bar on the track to stop it from opening makes it virtually impossible to circumvent.
- Security cameras: Your building could have video surveillance in place to provide protection for Residents, but incorporating your own can be wise. Put them near entrances like a back door or above a main hall in the apartment to maintain a close watch.
- Automated lights: A simple method for securing your apartment in Westfield is to incorporate lighting that will make potential criminals suspect you’re in the apartment. Smart light bulbs that may be programmed to turn on at certain hours or activated through a smartphone app can give the impression that people are there.
- Curtains: As simple as it may appear, restricting views into your unit keeps expensive belongings out of sight and keeps would-be thieves wondering if you’re at home.
Having The Lock Rekeyed Is A Good Idea
Before you pack all your furniture into the rental truck, it’s smart to see if the front door lock has been replaced or rekeyed. Getting new locks is a great idea to make sure the prior tenant can’t get into your new place. On the chance it hasn’t been updated, this is something that the property management should address for you.
Renters Insurance Is a Must
Even if you implement all of these tips on how to secure your apartment in Westfield, renters insurance is still a smart safeguard to have. Your policy will reduce your risk and assist you in replacing your lost items should the unforeseen occur. Give yourself peace of mind with a tenant insurance plan.
Would You Like To Find Your Next Home In Westfield?
Now that you have more guidance on how to secure your apartment in Westfield, it’s time to pick your new home at Union Street Flats. We feature sizeable units, courteous team members, and the popular amenities you seek. Call or schedule a tour to start the process.